Debian nvidia video problem

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Feb 11 15:57:16 UTC 2010

On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 07:35:33AM -0500, Giles Orr wrote:
> I'm running a Debian testing system on my main desktop.  Up until a
> couple days ago it was running three monitors on two video cards (one
> PCI-E and one PCI, both Nvidia 6200) on kernel 2.6.30-1-amd64 with the
> nvidia drivers.  I have the latest nvidia-glx, module-assistant,
> nvidia-kernel-common, and the headers for all installed kernels.
> After an upgrade to kernel 2.6.32-trunk-amd64 I ran "m-a clean, a-i -t
> nvidia -l 2.6.32-trunk-amd64" as I had with the previous kernel.  It
> built without any obvious errors, but an attempt to run X gives this:
>
> (==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
> dlopen: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/nvidia_drv.so: undefined symbol:
> resVgaShared
> (EE) Failed to load /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/nvidia_drv.so
> (EE) Failed to load module "nvidia" (loader failed, 7)
> (EE) No drivers available.
>
> Fatal server error:
> no screens found
>
> All attempts to build the module for other kernels have given the same
> results: even reverting to the 2.6.30-1 kernel, and despite the fact
> that "m-a ..." seems to simply unpack the previously built module,
> which should be identical and should work?
>
> Am I missing a step?  Or has something else recently upgraded in
> Debian messed up my system?  Google hasn't helped much: references to
> the errors I'm seeing are for Fedora or Arch three years ago.
> Attempts to revert to the "nv" driver (even using only a single
> screen) get me bizarre colour bars on the screen, so I'm currently
> working on a laptop.

What does this give:

dpkg -l |grep nvidia

I suspect you updated the nvidia-kernel-source, compiled the module and
installed it, but did not then finish the upgrade to get a new matching
nvidia-glx.

Of course since testing doesn't yet have ndidia packages in it, you will
have to get those from unstable.

--
Len Sorensen