Debian nvidia video problem

Giles Orr gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Feb 11 12:35:33 UTC 2010

I'm running a Debian testing system on my main desktop.  Up until a
couple days ago it was running three monitors on two video cards (one
PCI-E and one PCI, both Nvidia 6200) on kernel 2.6.30-1-amd64 with the
nvidia drivers.  I have the latest nvidia-glx, module-assistant,
nvidia-kernel-common, and the headers for all installed kernels.
After an upgrade to kernel 2.6.32-trunk-amd64 I ran "m-a clean, a-i -t
nvidia -l 2.6.32-trunk-amd64" as I had with the previous kernel.  It
built without any obvious errors, but an attempt to run X gives this:

(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
dlopen: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/nvidia_drv.so: undefined symbol:
resVgaShared
(EE) Failed to load /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/nvidia_drv.so
(EE) Failed to load module "nvidia" (loader failed, 7)
(EE) No drivers available.

Fatal server error:
no screens found

All attempts to build the module for other kernels have given the same
results: even reverting to the 2.6.30-1 kernel, and despite the fact
that "m-a ..." seems to simply unpack the previously built module,
which should be identical and should work?

Am I missing a step?  Or has something else recently upgraded in
Debian messed up my system?  Google hasn't helped much: references to
the errors I'm seeing are for Fedora or Arch three years ago.
Attempts to revert to the "nv" driver (even using only a single
screen) get me bizarre colour bars on the screen, so I'm currently
working on a laptop.

--
Giles
http://www.gilesorr.com/