Changing Root Passwords without a Live CD

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Feb 9 20:08:08 UTC 2010

On Tue, Feb 09, 2010 at 02:54:33PM -0500, Mike Oliver wrote:
> Is there a way I can make it require a password to edit the boot line at all?
> I don't want anyone who happens to find my laptop, when I've walked away
> from it for five minutes, to be able to get a root shell!

Yes grub does support passwords both for booting certain entries, and
for editing entries.

Of course you better password protect the bios and make sure it can't
boot from any external media too.

And lock the laptop to the table, and clue the harddisk screws, etc.
How far do you want to go?

In my world, physical access means there is no security anymore.  It is
not a software job to protect against physical access.

--
Len Sorensen