Linux-related jobs in Toronto

Robert P. J. Day rpjday-L09J2beyid0N/H6P543EQg at public.gmane.org
Sat Feb 6 21:08:07 UTC 2010

On Sat, 6 Feb 2010, Zbigniew Koziol wrote:

> Renata,
>
> I never ever had any chance with these monsters. Nor with recruiting
> agencies. IMHO, a sort of direct contact with people is the best
> chance to get a job. Actually, I have no doubt that you were noticed
> already on this list by these who know more or might or may not have
> even slim opportunities for you. If so you are likely to be
> contacted. If they dont have anything - you still may be contacted.
>
> I know, I have no doubt about that that you are excellent in Linux.
> But I personally have a very bad opinion about Canadian employers -
> they mostly have no idea who is good and who is not and (I would
> even dare to say that a lot of them a complete ignorants and offer
> jobs to ignorants), additionally, its rather used that since you are
> a newcomer you must first to earn your fuc*en Canadian experience
> (this is a sort of megalomany on their side to think that
> non-Canadians have worser experience and also a lack of will to
> learn from these who might be better than they are).
>
> Also, there is very little chance that you will get a serious offer
> _before_ actually arriving to the country.
>
> My strategy which worked more or less well was to send a huge,
> really a huge number of emails to companies that might perhaps be
> interested in job offers. I used various databases of companies that
> are available on the internet. If you want to try that way some day
> - ask me privately.
>
> Also, have a look to other job announcements. But not at places of
> these monsters. Avoid replying to ads from recruiting agencies. The
> best is if there is an ad from employer directly.

  or take advantage of social media to build a following so people
know who you are *already*.  participate in mailing lists, get on
twitter, build a following, start a blog, join linked in ... get your
name *** out there ***.

  i know a woman who was approached, interviewed, then offered a job
as worldwide chief marketing officer by the CEO of an open source
technology company.  at no time did anyone *ever* ask her for a
resume.  they already knew everything they needed to know about her
from her twitter feed, her articles, her blog, her conference
speeches, etc.

  it's *your* job to make a name for yourself.  no one else is going
to do it for you.

rday