Home NAS recommendations?

Giles Orr gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Feb 3 02:41:45 UTC 2010

On 1 February 2010 12:17, Stephen W. Clarke <stephenc-wtWqQT8woy8 at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I've used a Synology Disk Station at home for the last 4 years.
> It's linux inside and supports NFS. Price point is pretty good too.
>
> These are the specs from Synology:
> http://www.synology.com/us/products/DS110j/spec.php
>
> This is the link to the unit for sale through CC
> http://canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=027628&cid=NTW.791
>
> Stephen
>
>> I'm looking for a home NAS - essentially I want a glorified hard drive
>> enclosure that has a RJ-45 port on it.  Unfortunately, I think that my
>> ideal unit doesn't exist, but I thought I'd ask.  I'd like it to hold
>> a single hard drive: dual HDs would mean higher reliability (assuming
>> RAID 0) but also higher cost, higher power consumption, probably more
>> noise ... and I don't need the extra reliability.  Here's where it
>> gets interesting though: I'd like it to support NFS, preferably v4.
>> Of course the vast majority of these units are based on Samba, and
>> support only VFAT and Windows-style permissions.  I'll live with that
>> if I have to.  I have no interest at the moment in building my own out
>> of an old PC.
>>
>> I would have preferred to purchase a Vantec unit as they're
>> recommended here and I've had good experiences with them, but their
>> only NAS unit is IDE only, which strikes me as very odd.
>> Recommendations would be much appreciated.

I looked at this in Futureshop:
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?sku_id=0665000FS10135506&logon=&langid=EN

Interesting (although probably not very good) item.  The packaging
reminded me of why I never want to use FAT32 again: "File size limit:
4GB."  No DVD images?!  I had forgotten about that.  No, I don't think
I want to live with that limitation.  So right there I lost a huge
swath of options.  In fact, with the limitations I imposed (one drive,
no home-built) the Synology unit appears to be the only choice.  It's
more than I wanted to pay, but it's the only way to get what I want.

ext3, NFS, Gig-E.  Nice.

Thanks to everyone who responded, it got me really thinking about it -
but a special thanks to Steven for the Synology suggestion.

--
Giles
http://www.gilesorr.com/
gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org