Home NAS recommendations?

Tyler Aviss tjaviss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Feb 2 23:13:32 UTC 2010

We have a QNAP box at work, which is pretty good. It boots a linux OS
from flash and then mounts the RAID array (which you can install
further tools/apps on via iPkg)  There are some weird restrictions in
regards to the SSH user, etc, but there are ways around those as well.

The main issue might be the price, but the home units don't seem too
scary compared to some other similar alternatives.

If you just want a cheap 1-drive NAS that does ftp+ smb mounts and
nothing fancy (even though it seems to run on linux), you could try an
airlink101. I have one at home, but I much prefer just having a
low-power-CPU (Via C7 or possibly atom) box with a simple RAID and
samba so I'm not making much use of that one. I always worried that
without the RAID I might have premature data-death.

On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 5:54 PM, Alexandre Cavalcante Alencar
<alexandre.alencar-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Hey Giles, how you doing?
>
> How about Drobo product's? They are really nice and do a good job.
> It's fun to build things, but some times, we need to save energy and
> time to more important ones.
>
> http://www.drobo.com/
>
> Best regards
>
> On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 1:41 PM, Giles Orr <gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> I'm looking for a home NAS - essentially I want a glorified hard drive
>> enclosure that has a RJ-45 port on it.  Unfortunately, I think that my
>> ideal unit doesn't exist, but I thought I'd ask.  I'd like it to hold
>> a single hard drive: dual HDs would mean higher reliability (assuming
>> RAID 0) but also higher cost, higher power consumption, probably more
>> noise ... and I don't need the extra reliability.  Here's where it
>> gets interesting though: I'd like it to support NFS, preferably v4.
>> Of course the vast majority of these units are based on Samba, and
>> support only VFAT and Windows-style permissions.  I'll live with that
>> if I have to.  I have no interest at the moment in building my own out
>> of an old PC.
>>
>> I would have preferred to purchase a Vantec unit as they're
>> recommended here and I've had good experiences with them, but their
>> only NAS unit is IDE only, which strikes me as very odd.
>> Recommendations would be much appreciated.
>>
>> --
>> Giles
>> http://www.gilesorr.com/
>> gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
>> --
>> The Toronto Linux Users Group.      Meetings: http://gtalug.org/

> Alexandre Alencar
> http://blog.alexandrealencar.net/
> http://www.alexandrealencar.net/
> COBIT, ITIL, CSM, LPI, MCP-I

Tyler Aviss
Systems Support
LPIC/LPIC-2

“Even enemies will help each other if they are together on a boat that
is in trouble. ” – Sun Tzu