Another Reason I Love Linux

Stephen stephen-d-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue Feb 2 18:49:16 UTC 2010

--- On Tue, 2/2/10, Dave Germiquet <davegermiquet-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> I've been using PS3 Media Sever (From
> google projects) It transcodes
> HighDef MKV/X264 movies (720/1080) without too much of a
> problem... It
> also transcodes music..it uses ffmpeg/mencoder.
>
> Still a few querks can Media TOMB handle mkvs and
> transcodes video???

Yes, it should.

MediaTomb does not perform the transcoding itself. It calls a program such as ffmpeg or any other program than can write FIFO.

But you can configure a different program for every media type, so as to use the best transcoder available for each type. Or use the same program, but with different parameters.

I had to get the latest ffmpeg, including the non-free code, and compile it myself to get the PCM output working. But that is not hard.

Stephen