Home NAS recommendations?

Giles Orr gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Feb 1 16:41:12 UTC 2010

I'm looking for a home NAS - essentially I want a glorified hard drive
enclosure that has a RJ-45 port on it.  Unfortunately, I think that my
ideal unit doesn't exist, but I thought I'd ask.  I'd like it to hold
a single hard drive: dual HDs would mean higher reliability (assuming
RAID 0) but also higher cost, higher power consumption, probably more
noise ... and I don't need the extra reliability.  Here's where it
gets interesting though: I'd like it to support NFS, preferably v4.
Of course the vast majority of these units are based on Samba, and
support only VFAT and Windows-style permissions.  I'll live with that
if I have to.  I have no interest at the moment in building my own out
of an old PC.

I would have preferred to purchase a Vantec unit as they're
recommended here and I've had good experiences with them, but their
only NAS unit is IDE only, which strikes me as very odd.
Recommendations would be much appreciated.

--
Giles
http://www.gilesorr.com/
gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org