[OT] phpmyadmin -- trouble importing

Kevin Cozens kevin-4dS5u2o1hCn3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Mon Dec 27 01:13:38 UTC 2010

sciguy-Ja3L+HSX0kI at public.gmane.org wrote:
> I admit to not
> knowing what setting was appropriate for "Collation".  I used all of
> the defaults. Also, how does one find out the charset used for the
> database?

Login to phpMyAdmin and click the home icon. Just below where you can enter
the name to create a new database is a button that lets you select the
default collation for the MySQL connection. When you select a given database
you will see (on the Structure tab) that each table can have it's own
collation setting. If you click the Operations tab for a given database you
will see a button near the bottom of the stuff to the right of the list of
tables where you can set the collation for the database.

The collation to use depends on what written/spoken languages you need to
support in the text strings you will store in the database. If you will only
be using characters that are standard ASCII (no accented characters), you
can use latin1_general_ci. If you need to support accented characters, you
might be better off using utf8_general_ci.

> SELECT 'comment'
> FROM 'phpmyadmin', 'pma_column_info'
> WHERE db_name = 'dbname'
> AND table_name = ''
> AND column_name = '(db_comment)'
[snip]
> #1100 - Table 'pma_column_info' was not locked with LOCK TABLES

For now, it would be simpler for you to remove any SQL states involving any
database or table with a name starting with 'pma' (unless you know its one
of your own tables that just happens to start with those three letters). The
pma tables have to do with additional relation and bookmarking features. You
don't really need the tables but they are handy to have as they can be
useful to help phpMyAdmin to generate documentation about the structure of
databases.

In order to use the pma features there are additional installation and
configuration steps you need to perform.