OT: .ca registry, .ca registrars, and domain "backordering"

marthter marthter-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Thu Dec 23 01:59:38 UTC 2010

Hey all,

Anyone have experience getting domains away from domain squatters?

For the past two years plus this year, I've been watching a particular
.ca domain, which expires around Nov 20 each year, and thus goes to "to
be released" status around Dec 20 each year.

For the previous two years it has been renewed by the same registrar,
some time in the 24 hours before - or the day of - the release on CIRA,
or maybe even just after the release but before I could try and get it
(which, other years, was a matter of hours).  After each renewal the
whois has shown only the registrar, expert.ca (not the registrant) which
from googling seems to be a common domain squatter and/or kiter (and
their web presence is clearly not retail-oriented: "already existing
customers only login").

And the web page on the domain itself has been pure link farm, and not
even a good link farm - barely mentioning the keyword of the domain name
itself.  (I've only visited it once each year after failing to get the
domain, as I don't want his traffic numbers to be any better than
whatever they are already to suggest it is a "good" domain.)

This year I decided to try pool.com (which is owned by the same parent
as domainsatcost.ca it seems, momentous.ca) to backorder the domain
(stated as a $60 charge only if they succeed, and if multiple people
have backordered it, it goes to a 3 day auction).

Today I watched cira.ca like it was an ebay auction, in case I could
even scoop it before pool.com got it, repeatedly using cira's whois page
for the domain in question, plus command line equivalent.  Both methods
only said "to be released" with today's date.

I also tried my usual registrar's (domainsatcost.ca)'s
register-new-domain page repeatedly but it repeatedly said "sorry that
domain isn't available".

First of all, nothing happened in CIRA's stated release time 2:00 - 3:00
EST (Ottawa time).  Is that normal?

Around 3:20 the whois began showing whoistoolbar.com as the new
registRAR.  This, based on its own whois, is also another alias for
namescout.com, another affiliated company of momentous.ca so maybe this
is just an in-progress registrar used for domains successfully snagged
for backorderers (me) by pool.com.

However, within minutes after 3:20, it moved from pool.com's "your
backorders" page, to pool.com's "your auctions" page, already with a $60
bid by someone else.

So, is pool.com just a bigger, better organized domain kiter than
expert.ca?  Or are even those two affiliated? (with expert.ca just being
an anonymized front for anything outside the CIRA rules being done by
momentous.ca, pool.com, etc)?

This is starting to seem like small claims court, where the real normal
person just can't hope to win or even navigate the process without being
a lawyer in the first place.

Can anyone shed light on this?

Was it a mistake to put it into pool.com?  have I now just verified for
the squatter that it is a decent domain and now they will never let it
expire?

Should I bid $61?  (I _DO_ rather want the domain, to at least that
degree) or is it just a sham and bidding anything (just like clicking on
spamvertisements) only encourages the practice further?

Grrr.

Martin