Smithsonian Celebrates COBOL's 50th Anniversary With New Site

Thu Dec 16 18:52:18 UTC 2010

On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 01:19:36PM -0500, Michael Lauzon wrote:
>This is more for the programmers on the list, sadly, I'm not one of
>them, I suck at math, so I know I wouldn't even be able to program.

This is a myth I'd like to dispel.  My math skills are extremely
rudimentary, but I can and do program all the time.  I have even, for
several stretches, been paid to program (exclusively, whereas now my
programming skills are just part of what I am paid for), though I
am self-taught and have only high school math under my belt.

There are programming tasks in which math skills are hugely important
and an understanding of the underlying concepts may be essential, but a
great deal of programming, especially modern programming, is not
math-based and where math knowledge is irrelevant.

Web programming is a domain in which there is little or no math, and
which are still lucrative, rewarding and valuable.

Just because you cannot solve for "x" doesn't mean you cannot program.
Not programming is the only thing that is preventing mathematically
unskilled people from programming.
--

yours,

William