Smithsonian Celebrates COBOL's 50th Anniversary With New Site

Michael Lauzon mlauzon-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Dec 16 18:19:36 UTC 2010

This is more for the programmers on the list, sadly, I'm not one of
them, I suck at math, so I know I wouldn't even be able to program.
Anyeverhow, here's a brief excerpt from the site, a link to it will
follow:

One of the oldest programming languages, COBOL (COmmon
Business-Oriented Language) turned 50 this past week. On December 6,
1960, COBOL was first used on two different makes of computers,
proving that compatibility across systems could be achieved. To
celebrate the anniversary, the Smithsonian's National Museum of
American History built out a new section of their website
(http://americanhistory.si.edu/exhibitions/small_exhibition.cfm?key=1267&exkey=988&pagekey=989)
dedicated to documenting the language's history; a related exhibit
will open at the museum this spring.

"Written initially for the short range, COBOL proved so useful that it
dominated much of government and business data processing for
decades," the new website explains. "Millions of banking transactions
are still processed daily with COBOL programs. As the use of common
programming languages became standard, a flourishing independent
computer software industry emerged."

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2010/12/smithsonian-celebrates-cobols-50th-anniversary-with-new-website/68101/

--
Sincerely,