OT: Ontario Environmental Handling Fees

aaron d instantkamera-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Dec 9 21:06:19 UTC 2010

Why were you annoyed? You, and other consumers will have to take your
complex electronic waste somewhere once it's useful life to you is finished.
That means someone has to pay for it:

Read: http://www.recycleyourelectronics.ca/electronics/FAQ.aspx

How is the Program Funded?

> The program is funded by fees paid to OES by manufacturers and importers of
electronics in Ontario (called Stewards). These funds are used exclusively
to pay for collection, transportation, consolidation and processing of
electronic waste as well as research and consumer education programs to
encourage greater electronic equipment reuse and recycling.

In some cases, Stewards absorb the fees they pay to OES. In others, Stewards
may choose to reflect these costs at the point of purchase. The fees are
used exclusively to promote and support the safe and responsible reuse and
recycling of electronic waste in the province. None of the funds go to
government.

Will It Cost Me Anything To Take Old Electronics To a Collection Event or
Facility?

You can drop off unwanted electronic waste at OES-approved collection sites
free-of-charge. For each collection location, check which materials are
accepted by searching the information on this website. Please note that
while OES provides support to many municipal, private and not-for-profit
organizations under the program, OES cannot guarantee that all collectors
offer collection services free-of-charge.

Which to me means, pay for it at one point, or another. I dont think the
program itself is a problem, and it's by no means the first of it's kind
(nor the last).

-aaron