OT: Rogers oddity???

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Wed Dec 8 22:30:15 UTC 2010

| From: john.moniz-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
|
| I received a letter from Bell that states they have to pay me back $67
| and that I'd probably rather get a $67 discount on a product or service
| of my choice. It sounds like Rogers is in the same predicament. I think
| it's some fund the CRTC had required companies to hold for future use,
| but now have to distribute back to all home phone users.

Bell was ordered to pay back this money to urban home phone customers.
They have decided to offer the option of a larger and more prompt
discount on new products.  They are encouraging you to buy more from
them rather than getting the money back.

The first part of this is fluffier than later parts:
  <http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/archive/August2010/31/c5903.html>
  <http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2010/08/31/crtc-deferral-account-phone.html>

| > Subject: [TLUG]: OT: Rogers oddity???

| > Yeah, this is a bit off topic; not sure where else to ask where there
| > would be geographically-relevant folk...
| >
| > I got an odd call from Rogers this morning; they were trying to offer
| > me $50 to not accept any other discounts from Rogers between now and
| > February 2011.  That seemed more than sufficiently suspicious to me
| > that I declined the kind offer.  They're not going to be offering such
| > purely for my benefit, so it seems unlikely that there isn't something
| > lurking that's worth >>$50.

This is about cell phone stuff, right?  So I don't know anything about
it.

I did get an offer from a company soliciting for Rogers Cable a couple of
months ago. Note: I was already subscribing to Rogers Cable, and they
got my name from Rogers.

They offered me a discount in return for locking-in for 1 year.  They
would get a cut of some kind (remember: they were not actually Rogers
and made this clear (possibly by weasle-words that lead me to ask)).

Their discount was less than I could have gotten by negotiation with
Rogers (threatening switching etc.) but I was too lazy to do that.