Web development editor

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Tue Dec 7 06:32:27 UTC 2010

On 12/06/2010 02:36 AM, Jason Carson wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> What are my options for web page editors on Linux (I am currently
> using Ubuntu 10.10). I know of Bluefish and Quanta Plus. Are there
> any others? Which is generally considered the best?

"Best" is very subjective, of course. I used to use Quanta Plus
extensively on KDE 3 but it hasn't been ported to KDE 4. When I started
using KDE 4, I saw no compelling reason to install it since Kate does
most of what Quanta did for me anyway. The things that I value in Kate
that come to mind are: code folding, the concept of "sessions" so that I
can open related sets of files, like for a particular project, at the
same time, split screen, ability to grep through a set of files, vi
input mode.

I also use vim and quite like it. I don't see the advantage of WYSIWG
HTML editors, at least the ones I've tried, since the code they output
is not very useful if you want to create clean semantic markup.
--
Regards,

Clifford Ilkay
Dinamis