Web development editor

Tue Dec 7 06:16:01 UTC 2010

On Tue, Dec 07, 2010 at 12:41:46AM -0500, Howard Gibson wrote:

>   I love vi most of the time, but it sticks tabs into the line.

If by this you mean that vi adds tabs if you start a new line after an
indented one, you can turn this off with :set nosmarttab.  If it is that
you get tabs rather than spaces, use :set expandtab.

Odds are, if there is something about vi (or vim) that you don't like,
you can ask and I or someone else can find a solution.  vi is odd in
that for something that a lot of people use, no one seems happy with its
default behaviour.  I spent the year 2004 (I think) learning one new
feature of vim a week - I would need to accelerate that pace 1000-fold
to learn it all before I die, but I do enjoy using it.  I think the only
things more feature-rich are operating systems like Linux or emacs.
--

yours,

William