Web development editor

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Dec 6 20:42:40 UTC 2010

On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 2:36 AM, Jason Carson <jason-HjkH5KTEMfuEjziKL+yzSg at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> What are my options for web page editors on Linux (I am currently using
> Ubuntu 10.10). I know of Bluefish and Quanta Plus. Are there any others?
> Which is generally considered the best?

I find I prefer using Emacs for pretty well anything I might want to
edit.  It even has a specialized mode for HTML that is somewhat
intelligent about managing tags.  I'm pretty sure I could configure it
to automatically drop in markers as to what time I last edited a
particular HTML file, if I cared to.  I haven't, thus far.

Usually, the best editor to use to edit text files is whatever text
editor you already prefer.  That tends to be preferable in that it
allows you to use the features you already know and understand, as
opposed to needing to learn a new user interface.

If you're a fan of vi, you should probably use that.  If you like vim,
you should probably use that.  I happen to like Emacs, so I should use
it on my web pages, and do.