UPSs and Active PFC PSUs.

Scott Sullivan scott-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org
Mon Dec 6 03:23:29 UTC 2010

On 12/05/2010 09:34 AM, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 03, 2010 at 11:40:34PM -0500, Scott Sullivan wrote:
>> In the recent UPS thread a major question came up about Active PFC PSUs
>> and UPSs.
>> I've take some time to research the issue and provide a little clarity
>> at the best of my ability.
>>
>> # My Current Setup
>> I recently got an APC 1500VA Back-up UPS myself.
>> I have two older PCs (both doing server duty), network gear connected
>> and a single 15" LCD attached.
>> Currently they draw 105W of the 850W the UPS can provide, run time is an
>> estimated 53 min.
>> One of the machines has a 350W Active PFC PSU.
>> I HAVE tested this load with a simulated power failure. (I pulled the
>> plug).
> What brand/model of power supply and what efficiency is it?

Antec EarthWatts 380W, EA-380 (I miss labelled it as a 350W in my
original post).

Product Link:
http://store.antec.com/Product/power_supply-earthwatts/ea-380d-green/0-761345-27384-8.aspx

Note: the link is for the EA-380D which is a slight revision. I own that
model too, but it's not currently in a machine on the UPS.

I use these power supplies on file-server machines in 1GHz range with
between 6-10 Hard drives.

--
Scott Sullivan