Dell sale on new 30" IPS screen.

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sun Dec 5 20:05:09 UTC 2010

| From: James Knott <james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org>

| Last year, I upgraded from a 15" 1024x768 monitor to a 23" 1080p.  At first, I
| found all the space overwhelming.  Now, I don't know what I'd do without it.
| Of course, if I *REALLY* want a big display, I can bring my 42" HDTV in here.
| ;-)

With current consumer technologies, and "normal" eyes, it's not the
size, it's the number of pixels.

1080p == 1920x1080

Your 23" and your 42" have the same number of pixels (unless your 42"
is less than 1080p).

Older 24" monitors are better: 1920x1200.  Those are dying out.

These 30" monitors are 2560x1600.

You can also consider the new generation of 27" monitors with
2560x1440.

What works for you depends partially on your eyesight.  I require
glasses to correct for short sightedness.  My aging eyes accommodate
less well so I use continuous focus glasses.  To use a 30" monitor
effectively, I got special fixed-focus glasses (they help with smaller
monitors too).