[Bulk] Re:Writing over a drive using /dev/zero

Colin McGregor colin.mc151-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Dec 1 20:45:18 UTC 2010

On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 3:28 PM, William Park <opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Cheapest solution -- open the harddisk case, remove the platter, and
> sandpaper the surface.

That would be very good way to destroy a drive. A while back at a
trade show I saw a video by a firm that did drive destruction (for
banks and other firms that get obsessive about security) where they
had a series of electric motor driven hammers that repeatedly hit the
drives until they were in very tiny pieces, which I think would be a
little quicker and far more visually appealing than sandpaper :-) .

Colin.