[Bulk] Re:Writing over a drive using /dev/zero

Yanni Chiu yanni-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Wed Dec 1 17:19:04 UTC 2010

On 30/11/10 11:42 AM, William Muriithi wrote:

> This is something I am very doubtful about.  In fact, I am reasonably
> as in 80 % sure it impossible to extract data from a drive that has
> been overwritten with zeros using dd.  You do not have to fill it,
> lets say overwrite 60% of the drive.

Back when 1.2M floppies were common, the recording surface used for each
bit of data was huge. Also, the write head alignment was not very tight.
The result was that if you "looked" around the recording surface (i.e.
off the track), you could recover what was there, before the zeros were
written. That's the explanation I remember. Of course, with today's
densities, the chance of finding the old data is much slimmer than before.

--
Yanni