Ontario Linux Fest 2010, rest in peace...

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Aug 30 17:00:52 UTC 2010

On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 1:14 AM, ted leslie <tleslie-RBVUpeUoHUc at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> in listening to the tllts.org podcast the other day, the self has 5-7 organizers.
> i am getting the impression the ontario didn't have nearly as many?
> I know from listening to dave "sexy" yates on tllts, he makes it sound like its a huge amount of work
> for the 5-7 of them.
> maybe its not to late for others to step in,
> or get a decent sized group to organize next years.
> obviously many organizers mean you don't overload any give one,
> which it sounds like, may have happened here.

I always got the impression that OLGF was essentially operated by a
set of not more than 2 people, which, as you observe, has a
considerable risk of being rather overloading.

The trouble with trying to get others to step in is that there's
liable to be a bunch of stuff that rests solely on those couple of
people, notably contracts for the space.  If they've already set up
the cancellation (which I'd think *mighty* wise for John et al), then
I'd expect it to be problematic for anyone to be able to step up and
*start* negotiations for that on any sort of rapid basis.  So I'm
reasonably certain it's *WAY* too late for others to step in.

Throw in that the only way to get this sort of thing done Really
Rapidly is for it to be a tiny team so as to minimize communications
costs.  The best we could get would be to transfer the overload
problem to another person.  I wouldn't recommend that :-(.