NCIX grand opening sale

Colin McGregor colin.mc151-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun Aug 29 19:07:39 UTC 2010

On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 3:00 PM, Lennart Sorensen
> So tomorrow (Saturday the 27th), NCIX is having a grand opening sale.
> Might be worth checking out.

Well, I went out on Saturday and came away feeling burned, in more
ways than one...

There were a few items that looked interesting on their web page, so I
went, it took about 1.5 hours by TTC and Markham transit to get out to
the store. Then it was 3 hours waiting in line to get in the store...
by that time all the specials I was interested in were sold out :-( .
I left the store empty handed :-( . While waiting in the sun of their
parking lot I did develop a bit of a sunburn :-( . During the wait the
staff did hand out some bottled water (small mercy), not so nice was a
pen they gave away that broke on me (at least blue ink on black pants
is not that visible) :-( .

Specials aside NCIX prices seem to be on a par with Tiger Direct,
which is to say lousy compared to the usual College / Spadina
suspects. A saving grace for Tiger Direct is that they carry some
specialty home theater PC products that none of the other computer
shops in town carry.

The NCIX location is a short distance from Tiger Direct's Markham
store. Going forward, I can see myself continuing to shop at Tiger
Direct, once in a blue moon (but just for some specialty items, and
just at their easier to get to (for me), Etobicoke store). Unless NCIX
either drops their prices, or starts offering specialty items that I
want but can't find elsewhere ... well, I don't see myself returning
to them, ever...

Colin.

> I am sure most people that build their computers from parts have heard of
> them.  For everyone else they are a very very large computer parts
> supplier from vancouver (where they have a relail store, in addition to
> warehouses full of parts).
>
> They are opening an Ontario store in Markham at woodbine and highway 7
> (so conviniently 5 minutes from my house).  I guess now that BC and
> Ontario have HST, there is no longer a benefit in not having to charge
> PST to out of province purchasers, and they might as well have a local
> store for all their Ontario customers.
>
> Info here: http://source.ncix.com/eblast/eblast-in-store-firstmarkham/index.html
>
> They already have a warehouse in Markham, which happens to have a showroom
> where people can see some items, but this is an actual store to go along
> with the four stores in BC.
>
> I guess Canada Computers will get some competition now.

Well, no, not really. Canada Computers has several things going for
them that NCIX, at least at present, doesn't. Specials aside, Canada
Computers has better prices than NCIX, not as inexpensive as the least
expensive shops around College & Spadina, but not far off. Canada
Computers has better locations (among them a College / Spadina
location and a Yonge / Finch location both of which are far easier for
me to get to than Woodbine / Highway 7). Canada Computers does carry
some home theater PC items (what Canada Computers doesn't carry, it
seams Tiger Direct does and vice-versa).

Colin.