Filling / in novel ways

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Fri Aug 27 22:22:47 UTC 2010

On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 10:45:15AM -0400, William O'Higgins Witteman wrote

> Speaking of Flash, I have been systematically deleting all flash cookies
> for a few months with this crontab:
>
> 0 * * * *       rm -r /home/$USER/.adobe; rm -r /home/$USER/.macromedia;
>
> I have had no problems with stability (until perhaps last night - I must
> investigate) and if I delete a browser cookie, it stays deleted, rather
> than the zombie cookie behaviour that is increasingly common.

  While you're at it, beware of the ~/.adobe directory (Adobe bought
Macromedia).  My rather-heavy-handed solution is to su to root, delete
them and then...

touch /home/waltdnes/.adobe
touch /home/waltdnes/.macromedia

  Let's see Schlockwave-Trash (running as user waltdnes) try to write or
delete the .adobe or .macromedia files (owned by root).  And since you
can't simultaneously have files and directories with identical names,
the directories cannot be created.