Plug computers

Robert Brockway robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org
Thu Aug 26 13:15:48 UTC 2010

On Tue, 24 Aug 2010, Giles Orr wrote:

> There's even a "Plugbox Linux" distro getting going.

My Sheevaplug runs Debian.  I'd have no interest in a plug computer
specific distro - a port of an existing distro makes much more sense IMHO.

> Does anyone own one?  What do you use it for?  It appears they have to

Mine has been operating as my home firewall for about a year.  It runs
multiple VPN links to boxes I have on the 'net and has been working really
well.

The root filesystem is on an SSD card.  I initially tried to over-write
the default (slightly broken) Ubuntu installation on the internal flash
and managed to brick the device.  I used the documented recovery procedure
to restore factory defaults and then just did the install on an SSD card
:)

I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to get it working on the internal flash
but I haven't tackled it again.

I only have two minor complaints:

(1) The SSD card only sits in the slot, it is not locked in so it could be
knocked out.  In my case that would take away the root filesystem and
probably cause the box to panic().

(2) The Sheevaplug has the logic on board for two NICs but only one is
actually built into the device.  I used a USB<->RJ45 connector to turn it
into a firewall.

> come from the States, and I'm concerned about duties etc. at the
> border.  Experiences there?  The Guruplug with its extra hardware

Yeah I did pay some duty.  It was $12 IIRC.

Cheers,

Rob

--
Email: robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org		Linux counter ID #16440