MyTTC

Renata Rocha natzilla-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Aug 19 02:40:07 UTC 2010

On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 19:17, Colin McGregor <colin.mc151-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 3:56 PM, Robert Brockway
> <robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> On Thu, 12 Aug 2010, Fabio FZero wrote:
>>
>>> Really? MyTTC has saved my newcomer ass a handful of times when I
>>> arrived. Now I'm used enough to the TTC to figure out the best route
>>> looking at Google Maps instead.
>>
>> I've always used the oh-so-user-friendly TTC site ;)
>
> Funny how we find / stick to tools... I wasn't aware of the MyTTC
> site, but then I've lived in Toronto for enough years that most places
> I already know well enough that I don't need the services of a guide
> and for the parts of the city I don't know well I will turn to a TTC
> map (from the TTC web site or a printed guide...). In other words, the
> MyTTC site is nicely done / slick, but I don't see myself using it
> very often (if ever).
>
> I did try asking MyTTC for an ambiguous route, from my home near Yonge
> & Eglinton to the intersection of Bloor and Dundas (remember that
> Bloor and Dundas intersect at two places). I then tried several other
> start points around the city. MyTTC seems to think that only the
> eastern most Bloor and Dundas intersection exists...

They do have a pretty good customer service if you report errors in
routes. You just have to fill the form. As a bug report freak myself,
I have been in contact with them a bunch of times. They also use the
geolocation feature on Chrome and Firefox to detect your major
intersection, but it doesn't work very well, as it believes I live
inside the nearby park.

> Another non-TTC but TTC related site that I have had fun looking at is
> a site run by some local transit fans : transit.toronto.on.ca .  So,
> all sorts of trivia about the TTC, like the "abandoned" subway
> stations : transit.toronto.on.ca/subway/5006.shtml . Or a look at the
> PCC series street cars (the last of which were in operation when I
> moved to Toronto, but have now all been pulled from service) :
> transit.toronto.on.ca/streetcar/4502.shtml

This is cool, during the weekend they were doing maintenance on bay
station again and those who transferred to Museum probably had the
opportunity to see Lower Bay for a few moments. It looks like the
"real Bay", but from other dimension, without the ads, with some
dust... it's weird. On the TTC website you can arrange a guided visit
to Lower Bay, they do that like twice a year.

--
Renata Rocha
http://renata.org