decent pci express/ pci express mini wireless card

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Aug 17 21:22:36 UTC 2010

On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 03:16:11PM -0400, Matt Price wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 3:08 PM, Tyler Aviss <tjaviss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>
> > Mini as in mini-PCI for a laptop? You may want to make sure that your
> > laptop actually supports alternate cards. My last HP had a BIOS
> > setting which locked it to crappy realtek cards. An unauthorized card
> > (in my case an decent Intel one) brought up an error on the BIOS
> > screen and wouldn't allow the machine to boot.
> >

> > i just got off the phone w/ thinkpad support & they assure me it's not
> bios-locked.  but i guess that assurance may or may not be absolutely
> reliable...

Which thinkpad model?  Certainly many thinkpads have a build option for
intel 5100 cards (which work VERY well with linux.).

I am very happy I explicitly ordered my thinkpad with the 5100 card.
I have never had an issue with it in linux.  I mainly use it with 802.11n
5ghz, but it works with abgn at 2.4 and 5ghz.

--
Len Sorensen