Considering the Samsung R430L White

Ivan Avery Frey ivan.avery.frey-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Aug 16 18:26:27 UTC 2010

I'm shopping for a new laptop. The dream machine I'm thinking of is not
available yet: it would be a desktop computer the size of an iPhone. At
home I would connect it to a larger monitor and wireless keyboard and
mouse, but then when I go out I would simply disconnect it from everything.

Apparently we're not there yet. So as I was researching this topic I
found this machine the Samsung R430L White available at best buy for $750:
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/samsung-samsung-14-laptop-featuring-intel-core-2-duo-t6600-r430l-white-online-only-r430l/10145965.aspx?path=c360e94a977933fcd861c74ab15ceb70en02

I think it's the same machine as the Samsung R430-Black recommended by
Consumer Reports.

The processor in this laptop contains a Core 2 Duo T6600 which according
to Intel does not support hardware virtualization:
http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=37255

Ok sorry for wasting your time; I got seriously confused and thought
this processor did support hardware virtualization.

Samsung has the specs for this laptop here:
http://www.samsung.com/ca/consumer/office/mobile-computing/notebook/NP-R430-JS01CA/index.idx?pagetype=prd_detail&tab=specification

 From this page the chipset is the Intel PM45 whose specs are listed here:
http://www.intel.com/Assets/PDF/datasheet/320122.pdf

For me it's back to the drawing board to find the smallest laptop that
supports hardware virtualization and runs linux.