I Am Now 34....

john.moniz-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org john.moniz-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Wed Aug 11 22:51:38 UTC 2010

> Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 14:16:50 -0400
> Subject: Re: [TLUG]: I Am Now 34....
> From: colin.mc151-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
> To: tlug-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org
>
> On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 12:15 AM, Michael Lauzon <mlauzon-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> > Well, I am now 34 years old, still single after 24 years of trying to
> > get a first date, and have not received a birthday present in 20
> > years; so not a happy birthday like usual....
>
> Sigh...

> Let me also suggest that you start connecting with some non-geeks...
> Some of the GTALug folks are involved in the local amateur theater
> scene, others are in "mainstream" religious communities, others
> gourmet food / beer / wine, among other things. It can be a bit hard
> to expand beyond just the geek community, but it does help keep things
> in perspective.
>

> Colin.

Throughout most of my teens, I seldom went out on what we consider a
traditional date. Instead, I frequently went out with a group of people. Sometimes with a small group of family friends, sometimes with large groups of friends mixed in with acquaintances and even people I didn't know. Sometimes it was a barrel of laughs, sometimes it was just OK. But I always went along. Typically, these friends were of mixed gender, but no-one considered these outings to be dates.

Something interesting happened. Quite a large number of these friends later in life married from within the group or extended group. Life is funny that way, sometimes things just happen. I married outside of the group, but I think that's OK too.

I occasionally think back at how great those times were - no pressures for dates, no expectations, just going out for plain fun.

I don't think it's too late to do what Colin is suggesting above, but do it for fun and without expectations. Will it result in birthday presents and first dates? I haven't any idea, don't have the proper credentials for that prediction, but you're likely to have fun.

One more thing... I wouldn't advertise to friends that you've never had a date and have unhappy birthdays. Just my opinion.

"Well, I am now 34 years old, still single after 24 years of trying to get a first date"
By the way, what would you have done if you had gotten that date at 10 yrs old :-)?

John.