[mythtv-gta]: A MythTV building workshop?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Aug 11 18:55:11 UTC 2010

On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 11:37:36AM -0700, William Park wrote:
> Okey.  I thought those cards were just a barebone version of TV tuner/converter
> box, where we provide the case and the power supply.  If output is going out
> through graphic card, is "integrate graphic chip" sufficient?  Or, do I need
> separate

The tuner card plugs in the computer and receives the TV signal (antenna
or cable or svideo or composite as appropriate) and lets the computer
record the video to a file.  Some external boxes support component
as well.  Their job is to receive TV, nothing else.  Output is the
graphics cards job, whether built in or add in card.

> graphic card?

If your TV has VGA in, or the integrated video has DVI or HDMI, then an
HDTV should be fine with integrated graphics.  Some graphics chips have
better video decoding accaleration in linux than others (nvidia generally
being excellent, although I think newer intels aren't too bad, I haven't
tried one).  If you aren't using HDTV, then some onboard do have SVIDEO
or composite, although most do not, so that won't work well at all.
Many add in graphics cards do have such support.

--
Len Sorensen