select on udp recvfrom doesn't work ???

Dave Cramer davec-zxk95TxsVYDyHADnj0MGvQC/G2K4zDHf at public.gmane.org
Wed Aug 11 15:03:03 UTC 2010

> Do you have any timer sources?  Do you want to do the sync from user
> space or kernel space?

Yes, I have timer resources including a very high resolution counter
inside the arm chip itself, but it currently does not generate
interrupts.

If I have to I will go to kernel space. I expect I will have to but
for now this is exploratory.

> The rtc is just one possible source (although often x86 only).
>
> Have a look at:
>
> man 2 timer_create
> man 2 timer_settime
>
> Those allow creating a regularly scheduled timer that calls a function
> at a regular interval.  It does allow fairly small timer intervals, so
> perhaps you could make it run every 1ms or so and see if that is good
> enough to do the job.
>
> So if every time the timer fires you do a non blocking read on your
> network socket to see if you got a start message, then you can start
> from there.
I only want to use the udp message to sync the timers every once a day
or so. Other than that I just want to use the timers.

I don't want to consume the bandwidth.

Dave