local imap server on my laptop

Matt Price moptop99-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Aug 11 14:46:21 UTC 2010

On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 9:44 AM, CLIFFORD ILKAY
<clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>wrote:

> On 08/11/2010 09:29 AM, Matt Price wrote:
>
>> hi,
>>
>> i'm getting fed up ith evolution and thinking about switching to
>> thunderbird for mail, but thunderbird doesn't read Maildir folders (!)
>> which i currently use with wanderlust in emacs (i split my time btwn
>> emacs and the outside world).  One solution would be to run an IMAP
>> server that tells just interprets the maildirs for tbird, but my laptop,
>> though quite new, is already starting to groan and creak under the
>> weight of all the stuff I run.  Can osmeone reocmmend a really
>> lightweight imap server that isn't too hard ot set up?  I just need to
>> serve one user's folders, mostly my archived mail, which is all saved
>> together in a giant folder, so ithere are no complex structures or
>> anything.
>>
>> Easy to set up and administer is a plus, too.  thanks a million!
>>

> Dovecot. Fast, easy, and lightweight.

thx clifford.  I am trying to set it up and i think i have it working, but
it's not clear to me how to get thunderbird to  connect to the local
server.  Does anyone out there know how to get any graphical mua, but
especially thunderbird, to connect to a local imap server using the unix
authentication methods?  I;m not sure how to do it, the thunderbird config
panels are a little sparse and uncommunicative.

Thanks much,

matt