Power draw of power supply. 700watt vs 1000 watt, etc

Kevin Cozens kevin-4dS5u2o1hCn3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Fri Aug 6 15:14:36 UTC 2010

D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> I imagine (but do not know) that the CO2 cost of manufacturing a CFL
> bulb is higher than the CO2 cost of manufacturing the equivalent
> number of ordinary incandescent bulbs (3? 5?).
>
> If this is the case, replacing incandescent bulbs in low-use locations
> is dumb.  Certainly it is echonomically dumb.

I've never seen CFL's sold based on their CO2 cost. Its always been about
about how much electricity the user of the bulbs is supposed to save (which
means a lower hydro bills) over the life of a CFL vs. an incandescent.

Now there is some talk that the "naked" CFL's (the ones where the coil of
the bulb is not inside any protected shell) can be putting out some form of
light that can be harmful if you are near the build and exposed to the
light from the CFL for long durations at a time.