password managers

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Aug 6 02:29:49 UTC 2010

On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 8:03 PM, Dave Germiquet <davegermiquet-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Hi Guys,
> What do you recommend for password managers?

For a long time, I used "GNU Keyring," an open source PalmOS-based
app, which would happily sync with the X-based "JPilot" (which I
*long* used, happily, as the analogue to Palm Desktop).

When the Palm Treo died [sob!], this wasn't suitable for the
Android-based phone I got as replacement.

The "open-ish" options that are comparatively multi-platform these days are:
a) Password Safe
 - the original was written by Bruce Schneier, known for Blowfish and
Twofish crypto algorithms
 - There are various ports and compatible rewrites.
 - Alas, none that are particularly nice on Android.
 - Pretty viable on Maemo (e.g. - the Nokia Linux devices)

b) KeePass
 - Primarily a KDE-based password manager
 - There's a seeming decent port to Android that both reads and writes
password files

I'm using KeePass these days.