OT: Teksavvy Cable

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Thu Aug 5 14:38:11 UTC 2010

| From: Slack Rat <slacker-MOdoAOVCFFcswetKESUqMA at public.gmane.org>

| Whois  99.232.78.156

Rogers Cable Inc. BLOOR HSI (NET-99-232-78-0-1) 99.232.78.0 - 99.232.79.255
Rogers Cable Communications Inc. ROGERS-CAB-99 (NET-99-224-0-0-1) 99.224.0.0 - 99.255.255.255

Where did you pull that IP address from?  I assumed that you got it
from the wireless connection in some fashion.  Can you explain that
more precisely?

That IP address is one in a large range (a /15) belonging to Rogers.
The naming of the /23 subnet suggests that it is assigned to a node
near Bloor Street.

What's odd about this is that I'd have expected a wireless router's
wireless port to have a non-Rogers address.  Usually it is a
non-routable address from RFC 1918 like 192.168.1.100.

Slack Rat: are you sure that the IP address your computer sees is
99.232.78.156?  Those are usually used for the cable side of a cable
customer's NAPTing router (if any).

If the cable customer has only one device, then a router isn't needed
and that device can have that single IP address.  That isn't normally
the case with a wireless router of access point.

I guess that a wireless access point could be deployed as a bridge but
that would require that there be only one wireless device talking to
it.  In that case, the wireless device would see the upstream router's
IP address as the next hop, and I think that on Rogers, those IP
addresses usually end in .1 (99.232.78.156 does not end in .1).

(I've heard that Rogers will let you get two IP addresses, for a fee.
In that case, two devices can be attached to their modems without a
NAPTing router.)

$ host 99.232.78.156
156.78.232.99.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer CPE00222d1e137d-CM00222d1e1379.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com.

>From this, I can tell that the MAC address (generally wired into the
hardware when manufactured, but can be spoofed) was assigned to SMC
Networks Inc.  They make a lot of networking equipment for consumers.

So: it looks to me as if your neighour has an SMC wireless router.
But I don't think 99.232.78.156 would be the IP address on the
wireless port (the Slack Rat facing port).