good console bases sys monitors

Rajinder Yadav devguy.ca-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun Aug 1 22:19:08 UTC 2010

i guess in reddit case they were dealing with millions of requests, the
system in going to buckle under that kind of demand. few choices when
you have low mem, a hung server, shitty code (opps did I say that) or
errant process, reboot or restart seems the best immediate solution to
maintain a certain quality of service. this  helps fight the fire while
you're trying to figure out what is going wrong, if there is a pattern
is will be easier to figure out than those quirky ones that just show up
randomly.

you're right it should be fairly easy to write a script to monitor some
of the things and send out an alert or take some action, i am not sure
exactly what data can be pulled by those tools for a script to query a
system. i don't want to run and maintain a lot of scripts that are using
more cpu to query, parse and poll said services if there is a better
solution out there, something event driven rather than poll/parse driven.

this is really a good education exercise for me, it's helping me learn
more linux from a sys op point of view than from a hacker point of view =)

kind regards,
Rajinder