somewhat OT. What do people think of Telus

Fri Apr 30 14:21:18 UTC 2010

On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 09:41:03AM -0400, Fabio FZero wrote:
>I'm interested too. I'll probably get a post-paid account this month
>and since everybody hates Rogers and Bell, I'd like to know if you
>people hate Telus equally.

I suspect that because the CRTC is chaired and run by former industry
people that they are a "captured" regulator - i.e. they are incapable of
advocating for the consumer in a consistent and dedicated way.  As such,
no telco is going to have any incentive to suck less than their
competitors.  The loophole that I have found is using resellers whose
value proposition is not being a**holes (vis Teksavvy).

In my experience, Fido/Rogers, Bell and Telus could all suck-start a
leaf-blower - their policies and behaviours look outright antisocial.
When I started with Fido they had not been bought by Rogers (once that
happened their customer service vanished) and they were slightly less
offensive, but ultimately I go with a provider using a more flexible,
standards-based platform (GSM: Rogers, Fido) than one encumbered by a
nasty patent-holder (Qualcomm) (CDMA: Telus, Bell).  I have not looked
hard at Wind or Virgin or Koodo, but I plan to relatively soon.
--

yours,

William