OT: Any Cyclists?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Apr 28 17:16:17 UTC 2010

On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 11:53:35AM -0400, Gary Layng wrote:
> Yes, they are.  Two co-workers of mine, knowing we were having a Beer Call,
> decided to cycle home rather than drive a car.  They were nabbed by the OPP on
> the shoulder of Highway 2 and charged with (among other things) DUI.  Points
> off their licences.

How is that possible?  How can they get points on a license that has
nothing to do with the bicycle?  A bicycle doesn't need a license so
they might as well not have had a license.

Certainly according to this article
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/health/should-you-bike-if-youve-been-drinking/article1275035/
someone at the toronto police says a bicycle is NOT a vehicle under
the law and hence DUI doesn't apply.  You can be charged with careless
driving or public intoxication, but not DUI.

So you are either wrong, the toronto police officer quoted in the article
is wrong, or someone screwed up the charges.  I imagine any one of
those is entirely possible, given finding any definitive answer seems
rather hard.

--
Len Sorensen