OT: Any Cyclists?

john.moniz-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org john.moniz-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Wed Apr 28 14:01:32 UTC 2010

> A bicycle is classed as a "vehicle" under the Highway Traffic Act, and
> is subject to the same laws as cars.
> http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/statutes/english/elaws_statutes_90h08_e.htm#BK0

I didn't quite see where it says that bicycles are subject to the same laws as cars. Maybe it's buried in there somewhere. Bicycles are not allowed on expressways, so there's a significant difference right there.

I used to have a traffic cop as a neighbour. He was explaining to me some of the misconceptions about the regulations for bicycles and motorised vehicles. I don't really want to get into minute details here (my recollection is a bit fuzzy and this is a linux list), but it seems that there are differences between the two. Or maybe the bigger differences are on the enforcement side of things. For example (unless the laws have changed), you don't have to identify yourself to a policemen if you break traffic rules a cyclist, but you have to do so as a motorist. That would make it easier for cyclists to get away with unsafe behaviour.