OT: Any Cyclists?

Richard Weait richard-gNTHUr35LhcAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Apr 27 16:30:04 UTC 2010

On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 12:23 PM, Vic Gedris <vic-2vUEnoANFF8dnm+yROfE0A at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I've done that ride many times.  It totally depends on the cyclist's
> speed, and a little bit on the traffic conditions.  But cycling the
> Lakeshore route isn't usually too congested, and there aren't too many
> stops (lights, stop signs).  It's about 60km from downtown Toronto to
> downtown Burlington, so at a reasonable 20km/h pace it's 3 hours.
>
> Add time for breaks, lunch, etc. as needed.
>
> Vic Gedris - http://vic.gedris.org

I'd go with Vic's answer based on his experience.

Next time you might have a look at Ride the City
http://www.ridethecity.com/toronto#

It has the advantage of using OpenStreetMap data and recommends
"safer", "safe" and "direct" routes based on separated bike lanes,
adjacent bike lanes, and shared roads.  Pretty cool.

We can make Ride the City, and other OSM derived applications work
better by contributing more data to OSM.  For example, many of the
signed Toronto bike lanes are not currently in OSM.

The disadvantages of Ride the City are that:
1) they don't estimate travel time, only distance
2) they make the ridiculous assumption that you only care to travel
within the Toronto boundary.  That prevents use for this trip.  Too
bad.  Nice idea otherwise.