looking for a perfectly respectable, cheap linux laptop

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Apr 26 16:55:53 UTC 2010

On Sun, Apr 25, 2010 at 10:18:50AM -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>   given that my laptop *is* my primary processor (i don't own a
> desktop at all), i go thru laptops pretty much about once a year, just
> plain wearing them out.  so it's that time again, and once again, i
> pop over to tiger direct and see what's on sale, and particularly
> refurbished since i've had *very* good luck with refurbished gateway
> laptops from there.

How do you wear out a laptop in a year?  Physical abuse?

>   i just picked up one of these:
>
> http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5633769&CatId=4965
>
> and i'm thinking that, at less than $500, i might want to get a
> second, similar (but not identical) system, so here are the options:
>
> another one of the above
> http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5250525&Sku=F12-150012
> one of the other similar refurb'ed gateways
>
>   minimally, i think i have the right to expect:
>
>   * 64-bit processor with H/W virtualization
>   * at least 3GB RAM, ideally 4GB
>   * at least 1366x768 display
>   * HDMI port
>   * at least 3 USB 2.0 ports
>   * minimally a 250GB hard drive
>
>   i've had good luck sticking with AMD processors over the last couple
> of years, i guess i'm just curious about others' opinions on what
> laptops they see there that strike them as perfectly adequate linux
> systems, or recommendations on where else to look.

I like AMD processors.  I hate ATI chipsets.  Bit of a problem these days.

>   as an aside, i'd really like to get a 1600x900 display but that
> seems to jack up the price another couple of hundred and i'm not sure
> that's worth it.

I love the 1680x1050 on my laptop.  Mine is about a year old now and
still runs great (of course I hardly ever take it anywhere).

On a lenovo T510, going from 1366x768 to 1600x900 adds $50 (-30% at the
moment, so $35).  So not a couple of hundred.  If I was buying a new one,
any resolution upgrade is always worth it.  I paid $150 to go from
1280x800 to 1680x1050 and I have never regretted it.

Certainly a thinkpad SL510 should be able to be had with the above specs
(basicly the base spec is what you want except the ram, which is 2GB
default, but upgrading that is no big deal).  They often have sales that
bring the price below $500 on that.  They don't right now, but it happens
often enough that you rarely have to wait more than a couple of weeks.

For higher resolution, something like the T510 has that option, but it
costs more (it is also a much more robust design).

--
Len Sorensen