Zenoss versus Zabbix

Robert Brockway robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org
Sat Apr 24 15:42:58 UTC 2010

On Sat, 24 Apr 2010, John Miles wrote:

> That being said, I think I may be missing just one or two things to get that
> sort of thing working within Zenoss.
> What I suspect is that much of this data can be easily extracted using
> snmpwalk. I simply need to collect the correct MIBs and OIDs to feed to it.

It sounds like your core requirements are a little different to mine.  I'd
also like the ability to easily catalogue but I consider it secondary to
good performance and alert monitoring in the one app.

> The Zabbix chattiness is a bit concerning, given I have a VPN connection
> into my customer's network, which in some cases is branch offices in Hong
> Kong or London. I also am in the business of security and network
> monitoring/logging which means, I'd better be filtering a GB of my traffic
> out of the logs.

There may be a way to have several Zabbix servers, one at each site, and
have then able to store data centrally.   The documentation didn't seem to
make the method obvious.

Zabbix was doing checks every few seconds which I found to be way over the
top although it can be slowed down.

Collectd also defaults to one check every 10 seconds but armed with my
experiences with Zabbix I slowed it down right away.  Figuring out how to
tell collectd to check more slowly was more obvious than with most apps.
In general configuring collectd is turning out to be fairly obvious.

Cheers,

Rob

Email: robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org
IRC: Solver
Web: http://www.practicalsysadmin.com
Open Source: The revolution that silently changed the world