Zenoss versus Zabbix

John Miles jmiles242-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat Apr 24 13:39:04 UTC 2010

Interesting input everyone,

Essentially what I'd like is something like IBM Systems Director - where you
enter an IP/Hostname/Range, it gets an idea of which OS it is, you
authenticate, and it collects a basic inventory.

That being said, I think I may be missing just one or two things to get that
sort of thing working within Zenoss.
What I suspect is that much of this data can be easily extracted using
snmpwalk. I simply need to collect the correct MIBs and OIDs to feed to it.

What I do like about these solutions over IBM Systems Director is the
complete absence of bloat. These open source apps are so wonderfully
efficient and resource frugal.

The Zabbix chattiness is a bit concerning, given I have a VPN connection
into my customer's network, which in some cases is branch offices in Hong
Kong or London. I also am in the business of security and network
monitoring/logging which means, I'd better be filtering a GB of my traffic
out of the logs.

JohnMiles
linux monkey