Phone interoperability Europe-Canada

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Fri Apr 23 20:37:38 UTC 2010

Slack Rat wrote:
> This request is for landline telephones and not cellular telephones
> ("mobiles" or "handys" to most europeans) where one only has to juggle
> SIM Cards - supposing they have a quad band telephone.
>
> But is it possible that a European Land Line telephone set might work
> when connected to a Canadian phone service provider please?
>
> I wasn't able to find anything on the net

The phones should work as they're essentially the same.  However, you
may run into regulatory issues of using an unapproved phone on the local
network.  Phones used in Canada have to be approved by Industry Canada,
even though they're identical to a phone approved by the FCC in the U.S.
or by the appropriate agency elsewhere.