Laptop Repair Recommendation

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Apr 21 17:48:30 UTC 2010

On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 01:30:41PM -0400, William O'Higgins Witteman wrote:
> If you had a 3 year old laptop that started to make bad noises, but
> didn't want to fix it yourself, who would you take it too in downtown
> Toronto?
>
> (I have already recommended replacement - 3 year old Dell subcompact
> notebooks can't be expected to last very long at the best of times, but
> there may not be a budget for replacement right now.)

If it is making bad noises, it is likely the cpu fan is full of dust.
I have cleaned my wife's laptop frequently to quiet it down.  When the
heatsink and fan get full of dust, the airflow is blocked, and the
temperature goes up, so the fan spins faster to try and cool it and
gets noisier.

On some laptops this is a trivial 2 minute job (asus, ibm, lenovo
typically).  On others it takes an hour to disassemble the machine to
get at the fan and heatsink (compaq, hp, emachines, for example).

--
Len Sorensen