Wifi connectivity redux

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Tue Apr 20 23:24:00 UTC 2010

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 02:36:41AM +0000, Antonio T. Sun wrote

> How do you resolve the server address of the EULA webpage?

The command "sudo /sbin/dhcpcd wlan0" starts dhcpd, which adds a
"search" entry to your /etc/resolv.conf.  This allows your computer to
look up stuff in your "local domain", i.e. the wifi hotspot.

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 02:41:21AM +0000, Antonio T. Sun wrote

> I've always used GUI and never descended to wpa_supplicant level. So
> please allow a noob question -- how do you start your wireless
> network?

  That's what my ~/bin/wi_open script does...

sudo /sbin/modprobe ath5k
- loads the driver module for the Wifi chipset (in my case, an Atheros;
  different chipsets will have different drivers))

sudo /etc/init.d/net.wlan0 restart
- stops (if running) and then (re)starts wlan0

sudo /sbin/ifconfig wlan0 up
sudo /sbin/iwconfig wlan0 essid any channel auto
- brings up and sets parameters for wlan0

sudo /usr/sbin/wpa_supplicant -B -iwlan0 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf.open
- starts wpa_supplicant
  -B (background, i.e. daemon mode)
  -iwlan0 (interface wlan0)
  -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf.open (use the specified config file)

sudo /sbin/dhcpcd wlan0
- starts the dhcpd daemon to negotiate for an IP address and add any
  necessary lines to your /etc/resolve.conf