Secure erase HDDs in Hong Kong (OpenBSD/Linux)

John Miles jmiles242-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Apr 16 11:54:19 UTC 2010

Hi Everyone,

I've got an OpenBSD machine in Hong Kong, where I would like to completely
erase the hard drives in the machine - including the operating system.
This will probably need to be done on some of my Ubuntu machines once they
reach end of service also, so I thought I would ask if anyone has any
experience with this.
When I have physical access to the disks, I simply utilize DBAN, or boot up
with the SystemrescueCD and dd=/dev/random to the entire disk.

There are may posts about a Unix machine still able to operate if the
underlying operating system disk goes offline, but it is difficult to find
out whether there are some OS tweaks I need to perform first. I am assuming
one would turn swap off, but then, from thence forth I am unsure.

I am supposing that I might also be able to setup a disk image with DBAN, or
SDD (Secure Data Disposal) on it, and set the boot loader to load that by
default also.

Thanks again!

JohnM