New Debian install X problem

Giles Orr gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Apr 15 01:11:49 UTC 2010

On 14 April 2010 13:00, D. Hugh Redelmeier <hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> | From: Giles Orr <gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>
> | To: tlug-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org
> | Subject: [TLUG]: New Debian install X problem
> |
> | I did a new Debian testing install today on an older laptop that's
> | been running Ubuntu for quite a while.  I installed from a new CD
> | built with jigdo.  I told it to install "web server" but not
> | "graphical desktop" (or whatever the official wording is).  I did this
> | because I didn't want GNOME - I've done it before and installed X by
> | hand.  This time, after the install was complete, I went ahead and ran
> | "aptitude install xserver-xorg".  I installed fluxbox, gave my primary
> | user a ~/.xinitrc file that started fluxbox, typed "startx" and ...
> | the machine tanked.  Black screen, no response to any keyboard input
> | (I tried Ctrl-Alt-F1).  Only thing to do is hold the power button
> | until the machine powers off (I haven't checked if I can access it
> | remotely).
>
> I don't know an answer, but here are a few thoughts:
>
> - "kernel mode setting" sometimes causes the system to go off in the
>  weeds.  There is a kernel parameter to turn it off.  Mind you, I
>  don't know whether Debian Testing uses KMS.
>
> - I hope you've googled.  The m700 is not a rare device so I'd expect
>  that you would not be the first to try it with Debian Testing.
>
> - /var/log/Xorg.0.log very often tells what's really going wrong.
>  It is very verbose and arcane, but worth a look.  The problems
>  often show up fairly far back in the log.
>
> - One thing that might help is collecting an Xorg.0.log from a boot of
>  a working setup and see how it differs from the Xorg.0.log on the
>  failing system.
>
> | "Output TDMS has no monitor section" which certainly suggests a
> | problem (although not necessarily a lock-up ...).
>
> I don't know Debian Testing's version of xorg.  Ones I'm using on
> Ubuntu and Fedora no longer need an xorg.conf -- they make one up (and
> show it in /var/log/Xorg.0.log).  But the made-up ones are sometimes
> not good enough so you can make your own.
>
> TDMS is the output encoder for a DVI or HDMI port.  Many (most?) LCD
> panels built into laptops use LVDS instead.  If the external port is
> VGA, not DVI, then this is even more confusing.
>
> I wonder if your X is trying to use the external monitor port instead
> of the built-in LCD.
>
> It is complaining that you don't have a suitable Monitor Section in
> the (possibly synthesized) xorg.conf.
>
> [Pause while I go off and look at my desktop's Xorg.0.log]
>
> (II) RADEON(0): ref_freq: 2700, min_out_pll: 64800, max_out_pll: 120000, min_in_pll: 100, max_in_pll: 1350, xclk: 40000, sclk: 725.000000, mclk: 500.000000
> (II) RADEON(0): PLL parameters: rf=2700 rd=12 min=64800 max=120000; xclk=40000
> (II) RADEON(0): Output DVI-1 has no monitor section
> (II) RADEON(0): I2C bus "DVI-1" initialized.
> (II) RADEON(0): Output DVI-0 has no monitor section
> (II) RADEON(0): I2C bus "DVI-0" initialized.
> [...]

Since I had a fix in hand, I went with that ... I installed Ubuntu.
I'm a bit disappointed with Ubuntu and myself - most of my boxes run
Debian testing these days and I prefer that.  But given that this
install is only going to be used for a couple weeks (going to a
conference across the border) I didn't want to spend a great deal of
time debugging this problem.  If (perhaps "when" is more correct) I
get back to this, I'll be looking at the TDMS/external monitor thing
in particular, and the console font setting.  The Debian install is
there, side-by-side with the Ubuntu, so perhaps I'll get it fixed yet.
 Thanks to all who replied, particularly Hugh for this very detailed
response.

--
Giles
http://www.gilesorr.com/