A politician who "got" copyright law...

Colin McGregor colin.mc151-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat Apr 10 00:16:20 UTC 2010

I ran across this speech by a UK member of parliament. Thomas
Babington Macaulay, when the question of extending of extending
copyright came up. Here we have a speech were the MP CLEARLY
understands the trade-off between the need for copyright to encourage
writers, and the REQUIREMENT for reasonably short time limits on
copyright for the good of society as a whole. Great stuff, the bad
news here is two fold, the speech was given in 1841 (yes, 1841), and
with that comes the style of 19th century public speeches... Still,
worth the effort to read:

http://www.baen.com/library/palaver4.htm

Colin McGregor