in Toronto this month: International Symposium on Code Generation and Optimization

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Apr 5 22:36:19 UTC 2010

On Mon, Apr 05, 2010 at 05:34:39PM -0400, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> This is about compilers etc.
>   <http://www.cgo.org/cgo2010/index.html>
>
> This is a conference for presenting research work.  If you don't know
> anything about the topics, the sessions won't make any sense.  (Don't
> infer that they will make sense if you do know something about the
> topics.)
>
> After today, the registration fees go up.  Sponsored by IEEE and ACM,
> not for profit, and yet not cheap: US$550 for members.  Tutorials and
> worshops extra.

Ouch!  Makes linux symposium look really cheap.

> I'm not finding many things in the program compelling.  The tutorials and
> workshops look more interesting.
>
> I didn't know of <http://dynamorio.org/home.html> (open source from
> VMWare) or <http://www.pintool.org/> (free but not open source; from
> Intel).  Both are instrumentation tools and each has a tutorial.
>
> The ODES workshop's focus is on Software Defined Radio.
>
> Transactional Memory may become important.  There is a tutorial on that.
>
> EPIC (think: itanium) may eventually turn out to be important.  The
> workshop looks interesting.

How so?  Microsoft has just announced there won't be any future windows
versions for it.  About 2/3 of itanium boxes run HP-UX or other HP unix,
and about 1/3 run linux.  Less than 5% run windows, and hence counts as
nearly none given the total number of itanium boxes out there.  I just
don't see how it could ever become important.

> Too bad the Open64 workshop is cancelled.  Open64 is an open source
> compiler suite.  I've never used it.  Has anyone else?  I think I heard
> that Apple is switching to using it.

That could have been interesting.  I believe nvidia's cuda/openCL stuff
uses it too.

--
Len Sorensen